Orals are Anabolic steroids which are orally-ingested, synthetic (man-made) drugs that act like testosterone. They cause growth and development of male sexual organs, secondary sex characteristics, and increases in muscle size and strength.
- Anabolic steroids increase blood levels and effects of cyclosporine by decreasing the breakdown of cyclosporine.
- They reduce the breakdown of warfarin
- (Couadin, Jantoven), increasing blood levels of warfarin and the risk of bleeding from warfarin.
- Anabolic steroids have many side effects because testosterone, which they mimic, has many effects in the body. The long list if side effects include:
- Shrinking of testicles
- Breast enlargement (gynecomastia)
- Low sperm count
- Increased hair growth
- Deeper voice and reduced breast size in women
- High blood pressure
- Hear attack
- High cholesterol